Thursday, March 1, 2012

Jean Jacket Refashion


    The end. Ha ha! Just kidding! I think this is pretty self-explanitory though.


      I picked up that jean jacket for five dollars the other week. I knew it was too big when I bought it, but I figured I could fix it. After really looking at though, it looked like I'd have to take the whole thing apart to do so. Not very appealing. Inspiration struck and saved me from that insanity. I cut it into a large square, like so.


    I made sure to be extra generous on the width. It is sooooo much easier to take in the seams than to cut it too small and ruin it. I sewed up the sides first. At the area where I had to include a bit of the sleeves, I added a few pleats to try to make it look like that design was there on purpose.


     I just kept trying it on and re-sewing the sides, until I had it just about right. I had to add two darts in the back as well to get the waist to sit right. I hemmed the top and added a new button hole at the very top.


      After popping on a new button, it was good to go!


       It will get much more use as a skirt than a jacket anyway. I think we've seen the last of jacket weather here for the most part. It also went brilliantly with my new belt too! ( Tutorial found here )


    Hurray for five dollar jackets!

Nahum 1:7 The LORD is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble; and he knoweth them that trust in him.

3 comments:

  1. I love it! Your mister told me about it... he was so proud of you! Too bad I don't have a jean jacket to do the same. I do have a pair of fave jeans that ripped in the knee. I am going to cut and make a skirt from them. Wish me luck (and time)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool! What a neat refashion! Awesome job!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete